Saturday, November 5, 2011

Teaching as a Profession

Before I started teaching, I thought anyone could be a good teacher. I was going to touch young loves and be every one's favorite teacher. Students would come to me and share their secrets. I would prepare and deliver meaningful lessons that would change lives.


No one told me what teaching was really going to be like.

I never knew that I would spend infinite evening planning lessons that would be met with rolling eyes and groans. I never knew that in the rare case that a new lesson went off brilliantly, only to be interrupted with fire alarms, unwanted visitors or random pep assembles. I never knew how many homework assignments could be "lost" and how happy I would be for it ment less grading for me. I didn't realize that I would often feel more stress over giving a failing grade to a student than the student receiving it. I didn't know that students wouldn't always give me the respect I though all teachers deserved.

No one told me that I would be haunted at night with the stress of presentation and deliver of tomorrows lessons.

What I now know after student teaching.


I now know the satistfaction of creating a lesson that causes the light bulb to turn on for several students. I know how it feels to work in an atmosphere with other intelligent and like-minded staff who pull together and help one another. Talk about first impressions. I was thrilled to be involved with a great school district starting day one. I appreciate when a "thank you" escapes a smiling face or when a discipline strategy is caught not taught. I know I can't solve all my students' problems, but I have seen that listening to and encouraging them are gifts I can give. During my breaks, I find myself wondering how "my students" are doing.


Most of all, I did not know that I would feel so needed. Someone once told me that teaching happens in one-on-one relationships. I find myself teaching my students that they are capable and able to learn and that's why I am here.


My time here student teaching has been more varied then I have realized. No two days are the same. No two students are the same. My days have been filled with planning lessons, grading assignments, following through on discipline issues, and keeping up on individual students needs.


I forgot why I became a teacher......... because I care deeply about cultivating minds and spirits.


There aren't many people who get to witness these profound changes in people on a daily basis.

2 comments:

Kelsey Peterson said...

So was it worth it. Because I was getting pretty bummed with your unmet expectations at the beginning. And we should sue whoever put those happy thoughts in your mind :)
I think that you should be a seminary teacher. Yep that would be more fulfilling.
It just seems like you expect too much out of the profession you're going into. Does that sound bad?

Kambria said...

It takes someone truly special to find the good amidst the trials. Kimmy, I am glad for our talks and hope you will call me often. Love you and I am glad you are recording what you are feeling!