Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Walk Down Memory Lane

I'm teaching two concurrent credit classes with

NNU ( Northwest Nazarene University) which are called

PIE (Professions in Education) and Early Childhood Profession


As part on the classes the students go on INTERNSHIPS

which means they help out preschool, elementary, or middle school teachers with

various task in their classrooms for about 4 hours every B day


Today I did observations.

I attended 24 different classrooms

In 7 different schools within the Nampa School District

Thoughts just flooded my mind as I walked the halls of each school
what else is new :)


Am I cut out for the High School role?

Why didn't I go into El Ed?

Why can't high schoolers be more cute and adorable?

Am I thriving off the "challenge" with teenagers?

Why do I have nightmares about subbing when the times that I have sub its been fine?

Are children more apt to learn at a younger age?

Why?

Why is it that kindergarten kiddos love the fact of going to school?

Why can't teenagers love going to school?

Why is it that the check their phones every 5 seconds?

What makes little kids so irresistible?

Why are my students shocked when I tell them I want to be a high school teacher?

What will I do if I have to teach Middle School?

Will it be more challenging?

Or would I enjoy it more?

Can't I teach little kids life skills?

Who says that making home made bread was for teenagers?

Couldn't 10 year old be just as good at making bread?

(Don't ask me how my yeast bread lab went with my Nutrition and Foods classes)

Which age group gives teachers more respect?

What kind of respect do I expect to receive from my students?

Do we even know what respect is anymore?



Why such a diverse attitude level within every single class?



Would I thrive better in a elementary setting?



Is that more of my niche?



Due to my personality?



Why can't high school be fun?



When I laugh in class it takes some of my students off guard.... why?



( those of you who know me..... can answer that question :)



Are high school teachers suppose to be mean and strict 24/7?



How often do teenagers laugh?






Do I value my education?



2 comments:

Kelsey Peterson said...

Oh my hinkolotus Kim.
My first thought is that you think to much and you just need to realize things are how they are.
You forget what High School is like and that not everyone is perfect and you can't expect perfection.
High School kids are High School kids. They check their phones because they thrive on not being where there at.
School is school. You're not at the Church school where you can CHANGE people's lives. You can set an example and plant seeds and then maybe if you found an inspired time it will affect them later.
You need to teach because YOU love to learn. You love to tell people what to do. You love the control of a classroom.
Yes you have to be strict 24/7 because kids constantly push boundaries no matter what age. Do you want cute kids or kids that probably won't cry as much when your strict.
I guess I didn't really have to answer your questions because I find it hilarious that your mind runs on such a--what's the word--deep, penetrating, wanting things to change, level.
I picture myself walking the halls thinking
I wonder if I remember my locker combo from High School?
I wonder when the kids see me if they think I am a visiting student or I have the teacher look.
I remember when I walked the halls in high school....da ta da ta da.
I like these school colors if I were to have a school the colors would be ...
I might ask the question Would I be okay coming to this place everyday?
And not ask the question but more like: I can't wait to have a classroom of my own where it is mine and the students respect the class as mine and I am not just subbing.
It's crazy the way your mind works.
That was a lot of questions and a lot of comment on my part.

Kambria said...

Oh Kimmy....You are so wise! I think questions are good....So how did your yeast bread lab go? ;)I respect you :) :) And love you. Call me anytime, K!