Thursday, May 19, 2011

EDUCATION

I am currently enrolled in a 400 level class called


Reading in the Content Area

and I LOVE it!


I have been in the Madison Junior High School observing the FCS classroom for about 3 weeks....
(FCS Family Consumer Sciences)


there are 6 different units in the kitchen with at least 5 or more students in each unit.


My group consist of two girls that struggle with learn helplessness, a boy in a wheelchair, a boy with a full time aid because of mental behaviorism, and a sweet shy boy that doesn't seem to fit in to any group of friends.


I have loved being with this group of students and enjoyed learning more about them and interacting with them.


They Bring Me Much Joy!

I cant wait to be a teacher!


Today in class we talked about varies learning behaviors and something struck me hard today that I never realized before....


Brother Wilson said ...

They are scared of their comparison.


The classes where the majority of the work is based on performance level, students tend to classify themselves with handicaps because they are not like the "one student" that really is the artist or the chief.

therefore they THINK that they are incapable and FEEL that there is no need to put forth effort....

the mentality is distorted.

The students think their skills are bad.



I thought a lot about this.....



How often does this happen with Junior High or High School students?

What causes this to happen?

What can I do to prevent this?

overcome this with my students?

What are ways to deal with this in the classroom?

Am I guilty of this occurring in my education?

in life?

in society?
in my interaction with others?
in my testimony?

in my actions of what I stand for?












1 comment:

Kayla and Aaron Stewart said...

I feel that I am guilty of this happening constantly withn my life.... But i feel that the fear is apporpriate for us to deisre to change or improve. I too wonder how we can prevent this from happening. But then again, maybe we need this to happen. Something has to motivate us to go the next step.